How To Use A Bike Pump?
Hey, welcome back to BTYCC. Today we will continue our series on how to fix your bicycle, and today I'm going to show you the best way to inflate tires using a bike pump.
I know that this is something that most of us have done at some point, but it can be very frustrating when you have a flat tire and are trying to get air into a tire, or even worse, if you don't do it. Right! So let's go ahead and take care of that problem so that you never need to worry about it again.
Pick The Correct Pump For Your Tires.
What Are The Best Types Of Bike Pump For Cyclists?
There are many different kinds of bicycle pumps available on the market today. Some are more expensive than others, while some are easier to use than others. Here we'll discuss some standard models of bicycle pumps for cyclists.
- ✅DUAL HEAD VAVLE FITS SCHRADER & PRESTA VALVES – This pump comes with Dual Head hose for Presta...
- ✅ BUILT IN PRESSURE GAUGE – High pressure gauge that saves you time and energy. It can quickly...
- ✅ MADE FOR DURABILITY - Designed to last you a lifetime, our VeloChampion Track Pump has a...
Track pump is the most common of these. They usually come as floor-mounted models. These types of pumps are great because they can be mounted on your handlebars, seat post or frame, and they will work with any bicycle tire.
The only problem with this style of pump is its size. It takes up quite a bit of space when compared to other types of pumps. This makes them less than ideal for commuters who want to carry their pump in their bag while riding.
Another drawback to track pumps is that they don't always fit all bikes perfectly. If yours doesn't work correctly, there isn't much you can do except try another model.
- Steel barrel with ergonomically designed comfortable handle
- Floor pump with easy to read gauge, 160 PSI High Pressure
- Twin Valve Design can easily switch between Presta and Schrader valves
The simplest model of bicycle pump is the floor pump or tall pump. These pumps come in two varieties; manual and electric. Manual floor pumps are typically made from plastic and weigh less than 10 pounds. Electric floor pumps often include an LCD screen that shows the current air pressure inside the tire. Floor pumps are great because they're easy to store when not used and provide quick inflation times.
These pumps work by pumping up the pressure inside the tube with an external source like a floor jack. They usually come with a hose attached to them. This type of pump works well for small tubes such as inner tubes, tubeless-ready rims, etc. It also comes in handy when you want to change out tubes quickly without having to remove wheels from their axles. However, these pumps tend to be bulky and heavy, making them difficult to move around.
Also, they require more effort than other kinds of pumps.
Stand pumps are similar to floor pumps except that they usually rest on top of a stationary object such as a table or countertop. Because they don't move around much, they offer better stability during operation. Most stand pumps feature adjustable handles that allow users to adjust the height at which they hold the handlebars. In addition, some stand pumps even fold up like a suitcase making storage convenient.
A disadvantage of a stand pump is that it may not fit under specific seats, like those found on mountain bikes. It also requires an extra step to remove the hose before inflating your tires.
- 🚲【2-1 Bike Frame-mounted Pump and Bike Floor Pump】 1st hand and foot activated bicycle pump...
- 🚲【Hand & Foot Activated Design】 Comparing to normal frame-mounted pumps operated by hands,...
- 🚲【More Effective Than Size】 Comparing to normal floor pumps, this mini size (almost as the...
These pumps are designed specifically for people who ride bicycles without pedals. Hand pumps are lightweight and compact, allowing riders to carry them along with them wherever they go quickly. Many hand pumps are equipped with LED lights that illuminate the area surrounding the pump's nozzle. Hand pumps are ideal for those who prefer to keep things lightweight and portable pumps.
This type of pump uses hand levers to push against the valves of the tire. You must hold one end of the lever and then pull the other end towards yourself until the desired amount of air is pumped into the tire. Hand pumps are easy to operate and inexpensive. But they are limited to inflating large diameter tubes and cannot reach all areas of the tire.
Hand pumps are portable pumps that you can bring on a bike ride or in your car.
- SMART VALVE DESIGN: can be used with both Presta and Schrader
- PORTABLE DESIGN: light weight material and portable design to pump your tire anytime and anywhere
- 120 PSI MAXIMUM with Mounting Bracket Included: keep the pump attached during the ride
The frame pump is similar to a stand pump. Except it sits on top of the wheel rim instead of being held by a hand. Some models include a foot pedal mechanism allowing you to control the flow rate. A few models feature adjustable settings to accommodate different-sized tires. Most importantly, they are compact and lightweight, making them easier to transport.
The mini bike pumps are smaller versions of standard floor pumps. The advantage of using this kind of pump over others is its portability. Mini pumps are perfect if you need to inflate multiple tires while riding. Also, since they are so small, they do not take up too much space.
Some mini pumps are battery operated and rechargeable. Others run off AC power. Battery-powered mini pumps are handy, especially when travelling overseas without access to electricity.
Mini pumps don't usually have a pressure gauge, and those with one that is small and difficult to read will likely get tired before they even reach the ideal level.
What Type of Valve On Your Bike?
There are many valve types available today, including Presta, Schrader, Schwalbe, Dunlop, etc.… Each has advantages and disadvantages. I will explain each in detail below.
Schrader valves were initially developed in Germany back in 1885. Since then, they have become the most popular valve used throughout the world. They can be found on almost every brand of bicycle. Their main advantage over other valves is that they do not leak once fully seated. Another benefit is that they are very durable and reliable. On the flip side, they are prone to leaking if punctured or damaged. Also, they take longer to sit correctly, which may cause problems later on. However, you can solve this problem by installing a special tool called a "Valve Sealing Tool."
Presta valves were first introduced in Italy in the early 1900s. They quickly became trendy due to their ease of installation and low cost. Today, they remain the standard across Europe and North America. Like Schrader valves, they are highly durable but require more maintenance than other types. If your valve ever leaks, you should replace it immediately as doing so could lead to serious injury.
Dunlop valves were invented in Australia in the late 1800s. They are now widely accepted around the globe. The biggest drawback to these valves is that they tend to wear out quicker than others. This means that you need to change them sooner rather than later.
How To Use A Bike Pump
Now let's see how to inflate a tire using a bike pump.
Get to know what tire pressure is your need.
An important part of cycling since the beginning, bike tires pressure has been an essential part of cycling. It helps keep the wheel from slipping when riding downhill. It also helps prevent pinch flats and keeps the rider safe when riding at high speeds. Maintaining proper air pressures also extends tire life.
It depends on how fast you want to travel and where you want to go. Generally speaking, higher speeds equal lower pressures. But there are always exceptions to the rule. Before setting out on your journey, be sure to understand all the factors involved, including those related to the weather.
An ideal bicycle tire pressure depends upon the terrain you will encounter. Most experts recommend the tire pressures are 80-130 psi for road bike tires, 40-70 psi for cruiser bikes or hybrid tires, and 25-35 psi for mountain bike tires. Hybrid bikes are in the middle.
Attaching the pump to the valve
The process is simple if you have the right pump.
- The only thing you need to do is remove the cap from the tire valve. It will release the air from it. The cap needs to be in a place where it won't get lost.
- If you have a Presta valve on your bike, you need to loosen the nut. It is possible to do it by turning the nut counterclockwise. You must press the end of the valve once the cap is removed or loosened. The air will come out.
- The pump head must be attached to the valve after this. Please attach it to the pump head with a compatible pump nozzle. Next, seal the valve by pressing the nozzle. Some pumps have a lever to ensure no air goes out while inflating, but some don't. If that happens, you might have to use your hand to keep the nozzle seal.
Inflating the tire
It is time to inflate after attaching the pump.
- When holding the pump locked and steady with one hand, use your other hand to grasp the handle. Now, push and release it down. The tire should begin inflating. It won't take long to inflate the tire fully.
- Keep an eye on the tire pressure gauge. When the meter reads the correct amount, you can stop pumping. If you don't have a gauge, feel the tire with your hands. If it feels just right, you can stop pumping air into the tire.
- An overinflated tire can explode or run empty and cause a serious accident. We don't want to over-inflate or under-inflate. So, it would be best to read the suggested inflation pressure on the tire tube. Most tires have this on them. It would help if you also filled the tire to the pressure somewhere between lower and upper ranges as required.
Detaching the pump
You can detach the pump out of the valve when you think you are done pumping.
- At first, you have to turn the key. Then it would help if you pulled the head out quickly so that the air does not escape. After that, you must close the valve, or else it will release air.
- To change a Schrader valve, unscrew the cap and then tighten it down. To change a Presta valve, attach the screw nut back onto the valve stem. Tighten it down until you can no longer tighten it any further. Do this quickly so that the air inside your tires does not escape.
- If you feel that there is still air left in the tank, check whether the valve fits correctly.
Tips & Tricks
Here are some tips on how to properly use a bike pump:
- Always read the instructions included with the product. They provide important information about proper usage.
- Never leave the pump unattended while operating.
- Keep the pump clean. Dirt particles can clog the nozzles.
- Avoid pumping too hard. This could lead to excessive wear on the valves and seals.
- Never let your tires deflate below 20 psi. Doing so can result in loss of traction and an increased risk of falling.
- Check your tire pressure once per month during warmer months and twice per year during colder ones.
- Use a properly functioning bicycle pump. A good quality floor pump works well.
How can you know what type of tire valve is on your bike?
There are three types of valves: Schrader Valve, Crown & Schwalbe. You will find them on most bicycles with tubes. They are also used in some mountain bikes.
How often should you check your bike tire pressure?
It depends on how long you ride per week. Most people recommend checking their tire pressure at least every month. However, if you live somewhere cold or hot, you may want to change your schedule to avoid damaging your tires.
What happens when you get low tire pressure?
When you get too little air in your tires, they become harder to steer and control. This makes riding more difficult because you won't stop quickly enough to avoid an obstacle. If you continue to pedal after getting low tire pressure, you could damage your brakes and cause yourself injury.
Can you put a new tube in your old tire?
Yes, but only if you have a special patch kit. Otherwise, leave it alone. It might even burst.
Now you know everything you need to know about using a bike pump. Hopefully, these answers helped clear things up for you. Good luck!
If you like this article, please share it with others who would benefit from reading it as well. Thank you very much!